Print Tips« Back to Ideas Collection
More Print Tips
- • Key Elements to Consider When Seeking an Excellent Print Partner
- • A Quick Glance at the History of Print
- • Maximize Your Print Mailing with a Well-Written Cover Letter
- • Love Your Planet with Eco-Friendly Print Practices
- • Is a Bleed Right For Your Print Project?
- • Make a Splash With Creative Overprinting Techniques
- • Perfect Estimates Every Time
- • The Perfect Cover-Up
- • The Difference Between CMYK and PMS Colors
- • 6 Ways to Settle the Score
- • Win Customers With Colorful Packaging
- • 5 Rules for Readability with Type
- • Paper Shifts Color: Orange is the New Red
- • Printing Considerations for Envelopes
- • Be 'Bossy! Stand Above the Rest
- • Nourish Your Creativity
- • Picking the Perfect Paper
- • Perfect Your Proofing
- • Using "Enriched" Black Ink
Key Elements to Consider When Seeking an Excellent Print Partner
When you need print products (such as brochures, letterhead, and large-scale marketing) to build and strengthen your brand, you need a print provider.
Between graphic design, production presets, and regular re-orders, keeping things organized can be a challenge. Make it easy on yourself by consistently partnering with a print provider.
How do you find the right printer? Here are six factors to consider:
6 Factors to Help You Find the Right Print Provider
1. Competence and Quality
Competence and quality are often the most critical factors in weighing commercial print options.
Although it can be challenging to evaluate skill levels before you’ve worked with someone, there are several indicators to look for. Request to see samples of jobs done for other customers. Inquire about areas of specialization and if bundled pricing or services are included. Also, ask your printer what work steps they see as critical for obtaining good results. If you know in advance how they prefer to manage projects, it helps ensure good workflow and communication along the way.
2. Personnel and Production Capacity
How large is the printing staff? If you need substantial output in a short time, does the printer have the equipment or workforce to handle this?
3. Organization and Working Together
Is there a key contact person you will always correspond with? What is the preferred method of communication?
4. Delivery times or Guarantees
How dependable is the printer, and how quickly can projects be delivered? Is there a timeframe guarantee?
5. Environmental Consciousness
Is your printer committed to eco-friendly standards or procedures? Some companies may have special requirements regarding environmental impact issues, and this may influence the printing practices they can approve.
6. Proximity and Availability
How geographically close do you want your printer to be? If high-quality service and fast delivery times are important, proximity may be more of an issue, although most printers offer online ordering and shipping from across the country.
A Wise, Long-Term Investment
Your time is valuable, so making wise choices is of utmost importance.
Taking time to enter a print partnership that maximizes your investment is well worth your consideration. Often, choosing the right printer means you are beginning a relationship that will last for years.
by Kaj Johansson, Peter Lundberg, Robert Ryberg
All graphic designers and illustrators must be familiar with the steps involved in preparing their work for publication. Now completely revised to reflect the latest technology and trends, A Guide to Graphic Print Production, Third Edition is the complete guide to the entire process of print production, from the early stages of conception and planning, to the technical stages of manufacturing and off-press processing. Structured around the graphic print production flow, essential material is included for all aspects of the process including coverage of computers, color management, layouts, digital images, image editing, prepress, paper, printing, finishing and binding, legal issues, environmental issues, and more.
A practical reference to keep at your fingertips, this new edition:
- Covers the entire production process, from conception to manufacturing to archiving
- Covers new topics, such as variable data printing, sustainability, large/wide format printing, inks, and color management
- Is full color throughout, with updated images and screenshots
- Includes sidebars offering design tips, troubleshooting hints, and key points to consider for every stage of design
Delivering information that reflects all aspects essential for understanding the ins and outs of digital printing, A Guide to Graphic Print Production, Third Edition is an ideal resource for students and professionals of graphic design, print production, production technology, and visual communication.